My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://carolpetersonauthor.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, February 24, 2012

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE CRACKERS

Several years ago, a friend of mine wrote a bedtime story that was illustrated by a talented artist. When my friend first saw the proofs of the book, she was surprised. The illustrator had taken the visual story in a different direction than my friend had envisioned. Specifically, the illustrator showed one of the characters falling asleep on a stack of graham crackers during his bedtime snack.

After stewing over this development and wondering if she should talk to her editor, my friend finally shrugged her shoulders and decided not to worry about it. The book was published and it was delightful. 

That incident reminded me of life. What a blessing if we are able to fall asleep on a stack of graham crackers. They’re sweet, delicious and nourishing. That’s not something to worry about. It’s something to be thankful for. 

Am I thankful for the crackers in my life?

Or am I worried that eating those crackers will fill my bed with crumbs and make me itchy and uncomfortable?

Jesus didn’t feed the multitude with crackers. He gave them bread. But crackers are the same food category. If Jesus asked us to remember Him every time we eat bread, I can do the same thing every time I nibble crackers, too.

And I might as well remember him when I’m munching on cookies, French bread and waffles.

Nope, I won’t worry about the crackers. I’ll be thankful for them.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, thank you for the crackers in our lives. Thank you especially for your body, broken for us. Help us remember your sacrifice each time we have bread, communion wafers or even sweet, crumbly graham crackers. Amen.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? What crackers in your life should you be grateful for?


This is a reposting from More From Ruby an offshoot of  Ruby for Women ezine.

4 comments:

chris said...

Ha! Crackers are oh so not worth worrying about... this is an excellent reminder to always focus on the positive... and the really relevant and important "nourishment" ... accepting life, crackers and all... thank you Carol :-)

From Carols Quill said...

@ Chris - focusing on the positive along with 'ya!

Unknown said...

I received a speeding ticket about 10 years ago (I've only received 2 in my life) that resulted in a trip to the Oregon Coast to go to court. Ten years later, the result of that ticket and that trip is a fun romance novel idea. :)

From Carols Quill said...

@ Nona - Wow - that's taking a lemon and making lemonade, cake, ice cream and a smoothie!