This sheet can be printed out for your convenience. It is also located at the end of my Kindle book, WIELDING THE SWORD: INDUCTIVE BIBLE STUDY--BECAUSE THE BIBLE IS EVEN BETTER WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT IT SAYS.
I pray that God will bless you as you seek Him in scripture!
SHEET TO USE FOR INDUCTIVE BIBLE STUDY
PASSAGE (Write it out if it is short):
KEY WORDS – (Check concordance or dictionary)
1. Repeated words/phrases (include pronouns and synonyms)
2. Conclusion (so that, therefore, for this reason, consequently)
3. Contrast (but, however, nevertheless, yet, on the other hand)
4. Time (then, after, now, until, when, soon)
5. Comparison (like, as)
6. Figures of speech, cultural expressions, illogical statements, rhetorical questions, exaggerations
THE W AND H QUESTIONS
Who was the writer? Who was he writing to? Who is involved? Who’s acting? What’s he doing? Who or what is being acted on?
WHAT is happening? Describe the event sequence.
WHEN does it take place?
WHERE is it happening?
WHY is it happening? WHY are the people acting as they are?
Is there a cause and effect?
How do the people react?
How would I react to the situation?
STRUCTURE Consider the following:
How does this book relate to the rest of the Bible?
How does this passage relate to the Book?
What type of literature is it?
MEANING & CONTEXT
What was happening in history?
How do the writer, events, and this passage fit into that culture?
What other questions does this passage raise?
After reading, study, meditation and prayer, what application can this passage have for my life? What do I intend to do about it now?