My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://carolpetersonauthor.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 6, 2012

THUMBS UP!

image: plantswap.net
Do you have a green thumb?

I used to think I did; but lately I seem to be buying more replacements for my window garden than usual. And I’m wondering if there’s something I should be doing differently for my poor little green babies.



I set them in the sunshine; angling the blinds just so—filtered light; but not too much to burn their tender leaves.

I water them each week, letting the water run through the pot but not letting the poor plant roots sit in the drainings.

And since my garden sits behind the kitchen sink, there’s plenty of humidity from the dishwashing and cooking pots nearby.

I also have a handy pack of Miracle Gro. The stuff that makes things bloom and grow.

God also has a bag of Miracle Gro; an enormous bag. Sometimes He sprinkles it tenderly from heaven. Other times I think He dumps it all over us. Whatever His technique though, it encourages us to bloom and grow in Him so that when ultimately we leave this life, we become part of His eternal harvest.

We may not be able to see the face of God, but one thing for sure: we know His hands. They’re the muscled hands of a carpenter, pierced for our sake and with brilliant green thumbs, growing us into His likeness.

PRAYER: Thank you Jesus that you were born a carpenter but became our eternal harvester. Thank you for never giving up on growing us into your likeness. Thank you for your harvest. Amen.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? Do you have a green thumb?

5 comments:

chris said...

One thing I absolutely love about the fall is "the harvest" theme...

Miracle Grow... lol... that's cute!

... oh and don't forget the pruning, ouch!!

But, it will always be a good harvest when we stay close to Him!

Pam B. said...

I am so looking forward to seeing God's garden when we get to heaven.

From Carols Quill said...

@ Chris and Pam - I'm thinking about both of your comments. When God finishes His harvest, there will be no more pruning!

Pam B. said...

I often think about us in heaven sitting on the lush lawn hanging on to every word Jesus tells us----how we were all wrong in those theological debates and how it really is.

From Carols Quill said...

@ Pam - I love that image. I wanna sit next to you, girlfriend!