My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://carolpetersonauthor.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

FAMILY LOOK ALIKES




I have my mother’s eyes.
I have my father’s temperament.
I have my grandmother’s feet, my aunt’s sense of humor, my grandpa’s smile.

It’s fun to look at people and find family resemblances. Sometimes traits and characteristics are learned; sometimes they’re inherited. We look and act like other members in our family.

And that’s cool.

How much though do I resemble Jesus? I’ve been adopted into his family. I probably will never look like him physically. But I can learn his character traits. I can grow into his likeness.

This morning, Oswald Chambers whacked me upside the head with this statement:

“The resounding evidence of the Holy Spirit in a person’s life is the unmistakable family likeness to Jesus Christ, and the freedom from everything which is not like Him.”

When will I fully take on my appearance as the daughter of My King?

And almost as importantly—when will those character traits become so strong that people around me recognize the family resemblance? So that I’ll not only have my earthly father’s temperament but my Heavenly Father’s temperament as well.

That’ll be cool.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, thank you for adopting us into your family. Thank you for giving us time to grow and learn your character traits. Please help us become recognizable as members of your family. Amen.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? What physical and character traits have you inherited?

NOTE: Today’s post is based on the February 8 devotional from Oswald Chambers’ My Utmost for His Highest.

4 comments:

chris said...

I guess the more we tend to "lean inward" the more we resemble Jesus. Maybe if we lean in close enough we'll become "fused at the hip" with Him. How cool would that be?

From Carols Quill said...

@ Chris - good point. And being joined at the hip obviously means you can't stop "walking with Jesus by your side."

Pam B. said...

I hope I am becoming more like Jesus. I do get discouraged to see that my struggles are the same struggles that I had as a child. I long for that freedom from bad habits and addictions. I need Jesus to save me from myself.

From Carols Quill said...

@ Pam - you definitely look like you're part of Jesus' family!