My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://carolpetersonauthor.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, May 16, 2011

PRAYING NAMES OF PEOPLE WE LOVE

Many people are familiar with praying scripture. By reading passages in the Bible and substituting names and circumstances, folks can pray God’s Word to Him in a way that deepens the personal connection and helps us recognize God’s character and majesty.
You may also be familiar with praying the names of God. By focusing on the names God is referred to in scripture, we can pray for that attribute it describes. For example, a person needing reassurance of provision might pray the name of “El-Shaddai, the God who is sufficient for the needs of His people.” A person in grief would pray to Jesus as the man of sorrows. And God, who refers to Himself as I AM in dozens of instances, provides many opportunities to approach Him in prayer based on His character. 
In a slightly different way, I have begun praying names of people in my life. Each of us has a name and although it was chosen for us by our earthly parents, we can still look to its meaning and find a way to pray meanings of those names. For example, my name is Carol. The name means “joyous song.” When I have days that are filled with struggles or worry or even boredom, I can pray that God will help me live my name; not only for my own happiness but also that I would be a joyous song to others and to God.

I have prayed for many of my family members and friends in this way. Once I know what their name means, praying that meaning becomes natural. Moreover, it becomes easy for me to remember how to pray for that person. I simply pray his name.

I am creating an expanding list of names and accompanying prayers that I would like to share with you. I have created a special blog page. To access it, simply click on the button at the top of this page entitled “PRAYING NAMES.” Meanwhile, please feel free to contact me with names of loved ones you would like to pray for. Simply send me a comment at the end of this post with one or two names you would like added. It would be my pleasure to add those names and accompanying prayers to this list.

I pray you will be blessed and will bless others in return through this process.


PRAYER: Heavenly Father, thank you for our lives and the lives of the people we love. We sometimes think we are clever in the names we choose for our children. But we acknowledge that the names we give to our children have meaning. Teach us how to pray for each other. Thank you for creating the communication of prayer. Amen.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? Have you tried praying the meaning of your loved ones’ names? Would you like me to include a praying name for someone you know? Click the “comment” button and send me a name or two. Then stop back and check the Praying Names page. It’ll be there soon.

No comments: