My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://carolpetersonauthor.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

PURSUIT OF THE HEART

The theme for the ChristianWriters.com blog chain this month is “pursuit.” Please click on the links in the right hand column to see what my friends have to say about our theme.


========================



We know God wants us to have a love relationship with Him. But I used to think of God as a gentleman, who “stands at the door and knocks;” not as Lord of Heaven and Earth who takes the time to actively pursue me.  

I hung my thinking on the verse: Draw close to God and He will draw close to you. In other words, I had to do the first drawing. 

And I still believe that when you take a step toward God, He takes a step toward you—a giant step even though mine are tippy toes. 

One of my friends taught me to readjust my thinking. She regularly requests prayer that God pursue the hearts of her loved ones.  

When I first started praying that, it felt unnatural. Our loved ones, I thought, had to take the first step. 

But I’ve come to realize that God, as in all things, is proactive. Yes, He stands at the door of our hearts and knocks. But He doesn’t just knock once and leave. He stays there and taps lightly and whispers. Sometimes He pounds and shouts. Other times he rings the doorbell. 

Because the Lord of Heaven and Earth pursues our hearts in every way He can. 

So now I too pray for my loved ones who do not know Jesus; for people I know casually; and for myself as well—that God will pursue our hearts. 

As much as I already know and love Jesus, I want to know and love him more. I want Him to pursue me in ways He never has before.  

God, please pursue my heart and the hearts of us all. 

God, please open my ears to hear your knocking. 

God, please strengthen my hands to open the door and let you in to the deepest parts of me.


PRAYER: Heavenly Father, we want to know and love you more. We know also that you want us to know and love you more. Please pursue our hearts every day for eternity. Amen. 

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How have you felt God pursuing your heart?

8 comments:

chris said...

Oh my goodness... I feel God pursuing my heart all the time! I think that's continual as we're pursued by both good and evil.

I loved your prayer and am praying it now too for all of us :-)

From Carols Quill said...

@ Chris - it's my friend Pam's prayer - you'll see her here from time to time. Thanks Pam!

Pam B. said...

Yes, that is my prayer, that God will pursue the hearts of my children and husband. Thank you, Jesus!

Adam Collings said...

A great perspective on pursuit Carol. I am inspired.

From Carols Quill said...

@ Pam - thank you, Jesus for my friend Pam!

From Carols Quill said...

@ Adam - stay inspired!

lynnmosher said...

I so agree with Pam and you, Carol. God pursues us first, evidenced by an empty cross! And He continues to knock and whisper, just as you said, but, unfortunately, the ears of some are dull of hearing. Praying for others to have ready hearts to respond to God's pursuing! Love this post, Carol! Thank you!

From Carols Quill said...

@ Lynn - Yes. The empty cross is a reminder of so many things that God has done, is doing, will do for us.