My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://carolpetersonauthor.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

POCKET CHANGE FOR JESUS

One of hubby and my favorite things to do when standing in the shopping line, is to hand a child a quarter. The child might be fussy and in need of a nap. Or she might be delightfully flirty. But when we hand her a shiny quarter, the same thing happens each time: a slow, shy smile spreads over her face.

But it’s the parent who is often most delightful. There’s always the "What do you say?" nudge to the child. But then the parent looks at us and silently speaks words from his heart:

"Thank you for loving my child."

These experiences remind me of Jesus. It brings the point home that when we love others on behalf of Jesus, we are showing them the love He feels for them.

Showing Jesus’ love doesn’t have to be two weeks spent at a mission in Africa. It doesn’t have to be an emptying of the bank account to establish a presence in Tibet. It doesn’t have to mean quitting your job, selling your house and moving to Cambodia. It might be

A compliment to a frazzled store clerk

A smile and hello to a harried business man

A cup of coffee paid for the next car in the coffee drive through

A quarter to a child

When Jesus sent us into the world, He sent us into the whole world. Even the world in our country, our state, our city, our grocery store. To love others in His name. Because when we love them, He is loving them through us.

You can almost hear Jesus saying, "Thank you for loving my child."

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, thank you for the world and the people you have placed in it. We know you love all of us. Please show us ways to love others who come into our lives and to do so in your name. Amen.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? What is your favorite random act of kindness?

5 comments:

lynnmosher said...

Ooo...yes! It's the little things sometimes that mean more than the big things. Don't know that I have a favorite. I guess the favorite would be whatever the current one is! Such a blessing to give! Great post, Carol!

Pam B. said...

I am so blessed to be able to be helpful to my mom. I praise God that He has given me this time with her.

chris said...

Gosh, I don't really have a favorite random act of kindness but I love your idea so now I feel inspired to come up with one too! That's awesome Carol :-)

Pam B. said...

I've been thinking about random acts of kindness and whenever I print coupons off the computer, I always print at least an extra (like for Michael's or Sports Authority) and when I am at the store, I give it to someone else that is shopping. I don't know how random it is, because it is planned on my part, but it always brings a smile.

From Carols Quill said...

@ Lynn and Chris - I don't necessarily think you HAVE to have a specific act of kindness planned. Not planning makes it more random, right?

@ Pam - I love the coupon idea. And it's random because you don't know WHO will be at the receiving end, right?