Scriptures talk a lot about white clothing.
- As I looked, thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat. His clothing was as white as snow… (Daniel 7:9)
- His (angel of the Lord) appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. (Matthew 28:3)
- Clothes became white as light. (Matthew 17:2)
- His clothes became dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them. (Mark 9:3)
And lest you doubt the process of doing laundry itself is biblical, take a look at Exodus 19:10:
And the LORD said to Moses, "Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow. Have them wash their clothes and be ready by the third day, because on that day the LORD will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people."
Doing laundry is so biblical, it’s almost like having a spiritual gift. We scrub and soak; bleach and oxy; rub and twist and wring. Sometimes the whites just stay yellow; sometimes the spots just won’t come out. No matter how biblically robed we’d like to be, our clothing never becomes dazzling white like in scriptures.
But if you notice, all those folks wearing white in the scriptures were divine: Daniel referred to God’s clothing that was white as snow; it was an angel of the Lord at the tomb whose clothes were white as snow; it was Jesus on the mountain when his clothing became whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them.
So maybe our earthly clothing is a lost cause. But fortunately God has coated our souls with stain guard.
- Our black hearts turn white when we call on Jesus.
- Our muddy thoughts burn brightly when we let Jesus shine through them.
- Our darkened impulses receive light when Jesus illuminates them in our conscience.
I like to think about laundry day in Heaven:
How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God! (Hebrews 9:14)
No one but God would think about washing us in blood to cleanse us.
No one’s but Jesus’ blood could cleanse us.
Need a few more wash day verses?
- Acts 22:16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.
- Titus 3:5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.
- Hebrews 10:22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.
- Revelation 7:14 "These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb."
- Revelation 22:14: "blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and go through the gates into the city."
PRAYER: Heavenly Father, thank you for washing us clean through the blood of Jesus, and making us pure in a way we can never do on our own! Amen.
WHAT ABOUT YOU? What's your favorite wash day scripture?