My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://carolpetersonauthor.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

DISCOVERING THE FUTURE

Today’s post is part of the Christian Writer’s Blog Chain. The theme for October is "discover." Please click on the links to the right to read what my friends have to say about discover.

 
 

When times are good, be happy;
but when times are bad, consider this:
God has made the one
as well as the other.
Therefore, no one can discover
anything about their future.
(Ecclesiastes 7:14)

Ecclesiastes is one of those books of the Bible, sort of like Job. If you start reading it in a good mood, you’ll feel pretty bummed by the end.

Ecclesiastes. There’s nothing new under the sun. There’s no meaning to anything. Might as well give up the ship. Throw in the towel. Sit in the corner and twiddle your thumbs. Or as Job’s wife suggested: just curse God and die.

But this little verse is one of the bright spots in Ecclesiastes. Not that we can’t discover anything about the future. Not that there are bad times. But this:

God has made the one as well as the other.

It’s a subtle restatement of Psalm 118:24

Today is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

It’s also a restatement of a Peterson family saying:

If today is a good day or a bad day, whose fault is that?

Hey, that’s almost as wise as a proverb.

In other words, every day the Lord has made is a wonder and a blessing. It’s up to us to make the most of each day He gives us; not to worry about the future. Not to worry about what has gone wrong. Simply to rejoice and be glad in it.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, your Word is filled with jeweled reminders not to worry about the future but to live for today. Help us today to leave our worries at your feet and to rejoice and be glad in this gift of 24 hours that you have made. Thank you for them. Amen.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? What’s your favorite scripture to remind you to live for today?

16 comments:

TraciB said...

Good post, Carol. We all need that reminder that God is in control, even when things aren't all UV-free sunshine and thorn-free roses.

When times aren't that "good" in my eyes (like this latest period of unemployment I'm experiencing), I lean on Romans 8:28 and Philippians 4:13 for strength. I also keep reminding myself of all the tough times God has already gotten me through.

To combat depression in such situations, I've found it helps to start a new craft project using what I already have around the house. The challenge to discover creative ways to use what is at hand gives me something positive to focus on while I wait for responses to the seeds I've sown (in this case, job apps and resumes). It keeps my brain engaged and me from spending the whole day in my PJs in front of the TV - and anything that keeps me dressed and busy is good for the morale. ;)

From Carols Quill said...

@ Traci - wonderful scriptures and what a marvelous crafting idea. Do something you love. Create something beautiful. Good for you.

Pam B. said...

I hang on to the thought that He is guiding me along the best pathway for my life (Ps. 32:8). That He has made known to me this path (Ps. 16:11). That He knows the plans He has for me and He knows what He is doing and His plan is to prosper me and give me hope and a future (Jer 29:11).

chris said...

I love 118:24 too!

Here's another one of my current favs...

"He who trusts in the Lord, lovingkindness shall surround him" Psalm 32:10 - Rejoice & Sing !!

btw, I see that Pam B. is reading in Psalm 32 also :-)

Bill Jones said...

Thanks, Carol - great encouragement. Here's one I try to remember (haven't got it down yet though)
"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you." Isaiah 26:3

Tracy Krauss said...

Thanks Carol. Actually, Ecclesiastics is one of my favorite books. I find, like you said, that you start to feel pretty bummed out part way through, but if you read the entire thing it is strangely uplifting - there is a sense that God is in control, after all, so stop worrying. Profound

Jack Brown said...

good post
Psalm 98:1 Sing to the Lord a New Song, for He has done marvelous things, His Right Hand and His Holy Arm have gotten Him the Victory (wrought Salvation for Him.)
biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig hug :)

Keely said...

I just read your article in The Acorn and came here to give yo a virtual hug!

Keely xox

Anonymous said...

Here's one of mine and to keep with your thoughts---it's from Job!
“I know that you can do all things;
no purpose of yours can be thwarted" (Job 42:2). I love the reminder that obstacles and my own mistakes can't thwart God's plan for me! Thanks for the encouragement, Carol!

Deborah K. Anderson said...

One of mine is: "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding," (Proverbs 3:5).

This verse helps me during the good times, the bad, and everything in between.

Great post, Carol. And a timely one at that, especially with all that's going on in the world.

From Carols Quill said...

@ Pam B and Chris - great minds apparently think alike. Psalms are so helpful.

@ Bill - Isaiah is wonderful. 26:3 is a gem.

From Carols Quill said...

@ Tracy - you're right that Ecclesiastes does leave you feeling at right with everything. It's just the middle where I feel...sigh...Thanks so much for your thoughts!

From Carols Quill said...

@ Jack - another vote for Psalms! Yes, a good one.

From Carols Quill said...

@ Keely - What a wonderful cyber hug! Thank you!

From Carols Quill said...

@ Heather - Wow! What encouragement from Job. Thanks so much for sharing that verse with us. Next time through Job, I'll be paying more attention to the encouragement there.

From Carols Quill said...

@ Deborah - Proverbs speaks to me, too. I figure I don't have to understand God's plan. I know it's good because He is good. Thank you for sharing Proverbs with us.