My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://carolpetersonauthor.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 19, 2012

THE "TO BE" ATTITUDES: THE PURE IN HEART



This is the sixth Beatitude:


Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God
. (Matthew 5:8)




  



 
That which proceeds out of the man, that is what defiles the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries, deeds of coveting and wickedness, as well as deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride and foolishness. All these evil things proceed from within the man, and they defile the man. (Mark 7:20-23)


The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked. (Jeremiah 17:9)

How can we be pure in our hearts when they are filled with filth and sin? How can we be pure in our imaginations, in our thoughts, in our words, in our decision making, and in our desires? How can we think what God thinks, will what God wills, desire what God desires, hate what God hates, and love what God loves?

We know that God looks at the heart rather than at our appearance, behavior or achievements. We do not need education, business success, social position to please God. How then can our hearts be pure?

We can't do any of these things on our own. We can't clean ourselves through self-denial or self help. The path to a pure heart begins with the understanding that our hearts are evil.


God must clean us. The pure in heart are free from evil desires and evil purposes. God has a plan to save us and make us holy in thought, word and deed. That plan is stated in Romans 8:29, that we are "to conform us to the image and likeness of His Son."

God's plan is to make us like his own Son, like Jesus Christ. His purpose is nothing less than that we be pure in heart just like Jesus Christ is.

How does God clean us? When we surrender ourselves to Jesus and put our trust in him, God will then give us a new nature and we become a new creation.

Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you. (Ezekiel 36:26-27)

As a new person, we can walk arm and arm with Jesus Christ on a road toward spiritual purity because:
 
It is no longer I that live, but it is Christ that is living in union with me. (Galatians 2:20)

This Beatitude tells us if we are pure in heart then we will see God. Not only will we see God as we pass into heaven, but we will see God right now spiritually. The pure in heart will see God’s glory in everything.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, thank you for cleaning us up and giving us a pure heart. Please Holy Spirit, guide our lives and keep our hearts sparkling clean and pure like Jesus’. Please help us see your glory, Father, in all things. Amen.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? Do you have a technique or reminder to keep your focus continually on Jesus?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Carol for this wonderful post. Staying pure is indeed a task, but I am grateful that task is not left in my hands. while reading, I heard the nudge of the Holy Spirit to let a few things go that have been plaguing my heart lately. I will. Thanks again sweet sister! Peace and blessings!

Pam B. said...

I thank God that He promises to give us a new heart---I sure can't do it on my own.

chris said...

How do I continually try to focus on Jesus? I try to stick really close by staying in His word all day, prayer, and by fellowship with other believers.

Loved this post Carol, you really tied it together with the scripture verses and your own words too :-)

From Carols Quill said...

@ Terrie - letting go is sometimes soooo hard. I'm happ to hear you felt nudged to do so. Cyber hugs, sister.

@ Pam - I just read your comment from Wednesday's post (I'm going backwards in time since I'm out of the country--how's that for not making sense). Anyway, I am praying for a renewed heart for you.

@ Chris - I "cling" to Jesus most days through scripture and prayer especially. You've got it right.